Today, cell phones are considered a necessity for almost everybody across the world. Their abilities to place and receive calls, store data, and take pictures and videos are just some of their many amazing features that change how we connect to other people and how we do things. For businesses, mobile communication is becoming mainstream.
Since modern technology is not perfect, sometimes weak signals occur, especially in office buildings. This is unfortunate for hospitals and other facilities where many emergencies happen. In most cases, a cell phone signal booster solution is the best option
Reasons for Bad Mobile Signals Inside Buildings
1. Proximity to One or More Towers
Cell phone signals are transmitted from towers and travel to your phone through the air. Both big and small cities have mobile phone towers anywhere, that’s why residents can access better signals. While service carriers can sometimes encounter issues, the top reason for a weak or dead signal in rural areas is the lack of towers.
Click here for more information about indoor coverage solutions.
2. Thick Building Materials
Construction materials used in structures are most likely the reason for “dead zones” in the cities. Concrete, steel, and even insulated glass can prevent signals from penetrating a building. Other possible obstructions include trees, mountains, or other structures.
If your building is not close to a tower, mobile signals could be poor. Unfortunately, old buildings have thick walls that often result in signal problems. Whereas many new buildings are thickly insulated, so drafts and cell phone signals can penetrate. In the US, IFC section 510 building code says that there should be approved radio coverage for emergency responders inside buildings.
How to Increase Mobile Signals Inside Buildings
After finding out where and what the problem is, the next thing to do is amplify the signal.
Do It Yourself Signal Boosters
Big buildings may require expert solutions from professionals. If you need to boost signals across your office, you may try these simple DIY steps:
- Try resetting your cell phone to force reconnection.
- Go outside and check if the signal is better. If nothing changes, there may be some issues with your service provider.
- Inspect your phone’s performance and ensure that it’s performing at its best. Make sure that you have the most recent software updates.
- Consider removing or replacing your phone’s case since it can sometimes block your phone’s antenna.
- If you can, try WiFi calling.
- Switch to 3G network. If you’re using 4g LTE, it may be congested, causing your data speed to weaken.
- Try switching carriers if your signal improves. Just make sure that the cause is your service carrier because a new carrier isn’t going to solve your problems.
Invest in Mobile Signal Boosters
Mobile boosters are devices that improve mobile signals to strengthen cellular coverage in areas with weak signals, including tunnels, inside buildings, trains, and rural areas. They must be properly installed to avoid interference to a range of calls, especially emergency and 911 calls.
Nowadays, many workplaces utilize mobile phones and other web applications and software such as skype, slack, etc., for business transactions. But when the signal is dead, it can greatly affect their business. Mobile signal boosters can help:
- Reduce dropped calls
- Increase data speeds
- Improve quality